Modern materials and their constant further development constitute the basis of competitive industrial production. The market constantly demands new products for new applications. Even with the most modern and best production facilities, no satisfactory result can be achieved if the materials used do not meet requirements. This makes findings in materials testing particularly important.
Non-destructive material testing
- Ultrasonic testing (UT) of rolled, cast and forged products as well as welded joints, both conventional and phased array technology
- Manual and automated magnetic particle testing (MT)
- Magnetic inductive wall and coating thickness measurement
- Checking of dimensions and surfaces (VT)
- Ambulant metallography / hardness testing / spectrometry
- Radiographic testing, analog and digital
Destructive materials testing
- Tensile tests, hot tensile tests up to 1000° C
- Notched-bar impact-bending tests
- Fracture tests
- Pipe pull-out tests
- Burst tests
- Bending tests
- Ring folding tests
- Ring expanding tests
- Ring flaring tests
- Ring tensile tests
- Weld bead bend tests
- Microstructure and heat treatment condition
- Degree of purity and grain size
- Coating and edge-layer characteristics
- Seam geometry of welded joints
- Irregularities in welded joints
- Hardness testing
- Microhardness testing
- Iron III sulphate sulphuric acid testing
- Strauss test
- Huey test
- Streicher test
- HIC test
- Testing of ballast water tank coating systems
- According to IMO resolution
- Simultaneously measuring optical emission spectrometers provide precise analyses of iron-, nickel-, copper-, aluminum- and magnesium-based materials
- Scanning electron microscopy
- Secondary and backscattered electron imaging
- Energy dispersive X-ray microanalysis (EDX)
- Surface inspection (wear, coatings)
- Fracture surface analysis
- Preparation of testing and inspection programs
- Ambulant metallography
Examination of invitations to tender
- Examination of invitations to tender for compliance with standards (NORM)
Quality right from the outset
Quality cannot be “tested into existence”. This means that quality-determining features must be taken into account right from the planning stage. A number of factors are important, such as: legal and/or normative requirements, calculation, design and the choice of materials. Joining techniques and test methods used for quality assurance must also be taken into account. TÜV AUSTRIA’s Materials Engineering and Welding Technology Division is your partner for economical and competent handling of such tasks.
TÜV AUSTRIA offers a comprehensive and diverse range of services for this purpose.
TÜV AUSTRIA SERVICES: Destructive Testing
Main areas of focus:
- Performance of all conventional non-destructive and destructive tests
- Monitoring of production, construction and assembly
- Operational reviews
- Incoming-goods & pre-shipment inspections
- Adaptation of test methods according to your requirements
- Assistance with planning and design
- Consulting on selecting and approving test methods
- Welding consulting
Component failure is one of the most dreaded risk factors in production and business operations. Injuries and damage cannot always be avoided, even when using the latest planning and production methods.
TÜV AUSTRIA’s Competence Center for Plant Diagnostics and Damage Analysis helps to analyze injuries and damage that have occurred and to develop strategies to prevent any further damage.
In combination with modern testing methods, our experts’ knowledge guarantees that problems can be identified and reliably solved.
Our range of services for injury and damage investigations includes:
- Consulting and conceptual planning for injury and damage analysis
- Documentation of the extent of injury/damage
- Expert sampling on site
- Physical-chemical and mechanical investigations on site and in the laboratory
- Ambulant metallographic investigations
- Supportive interior inspection by video endoscopy
- Expert evaluation of investigation results by specialists
New demands are constantly being placed on non-destructive testing techniques by new materials and rapid technological development. In cooperation with industry and trade as well as international partners, TÜV AUSTRIA’s Materials Engineering and Welding Technology Division develops tailor-made solutions for our customers’ testing and inspection problems.
Our staff are trained in all currently used testing techniques and certified according to EN 473.
We come to the customer. We currently have 17 mobile testing laboratories ready for Austria-wide and international testing deployment.
The following test methods are currently used as standard by TÜV AUSTRIA:
- Radiographic testing
- Ultrasonic testing
- Acoustic emission testing
- Stress and strain measurements
- Pressure and leakage testing
- Pulsation and load-change tests
- Development of test methods according to customer requirements
- Development and use of “smart pigs” for pipeline inspections
TÜV AUSTRIA uses analytical procedures, modern testing methods and extensive experience to prevent injury and damage that can result in unplanned outages with expensive repairs and possible consequential costs. Systematic risk analyses and methodical procedures are used to identify risk potential and develop action plans.
TÜV AUSTRIA saves time, nerves and money:
As an old saying goes: “Getting hurt makes you smart.” Unexpected damage may make you smarter, but certainly also poorer. The aim of TÜV AUSTRIA’s work is to prevent injury and damage and thus costs by means of preventive measures.
With on-stream measuring methods and state-of-the-art analysis procedures, diagnosis is carried out of incipient damage caused by continuous stress. This allows conclusions to be drawn about the time span for safe continued operation of a plant or the need to undertake a replacement investment in good time. If, on the other hand, damage has occurred, it will be analyzed with great care so that the necessary action can be taken quickly to prevent any repetition.
A special service for the insurance industry is assessment of a company’s risk potential. TÜV AUSTRIA’s experts get to the bottom of causes in cases of damage or impending damage. Together with the customer, they develop strategies and solutions for avoiding problems in the future.
What does TÜV AUSTRIA provide?
Hazard and risk analyses of technical plants and processes:
The aim of a risk analysis is to obtain a general overview of existing risks and, if necessary, to identify any need for action. Consideration is given to effects on people, the environment and property which may be caused by divergences from normal operation.
Systematic evaluation of the following key factors influencing safety, security and availability, doing so as a basis for identifying and reducing risks: equipment integrity, technical risk analysis, procedures and workflows, training and education, legislative compliance, management of opportunity, maintenance, contingency planning, learning from incidents of injury and damage.
Risk based Inspection (RBI) of pressurized components:
Specific definition of required inspections and tests of pressurized components as a function of the harmful mechanisms at work and the consequences of a failure.
Identification of local inadmissible heating:
This is done using, for example, thermographic methods for electrical controls, bearings and other rotating parts so as to prevent possible damage to the plant.
Failure analysis of components and materials using materials science investigations such as metallographic investigations based on properly taken samples:
Conventional metallography and scanning electron microscopic examinations (SEM, EDX analyses) are used, including micro- and low-load hardness tests as well as metal analysis (optical emission spectrometry), microscopic and macroscopic examinations of fracture surfaces. Investigations into corrosion damage.
Component metallography, i.e., microstructural investigations of components themselves without taking samples using replica technology, underpinned by accompanied by mobile hardness testing, mobile metal analysis and wall thickness measurements done by ultrasound.
Computational verification of components in accordance with relevant regulations and the latest state of knowledge:
TÜV AUSTRIA’s experts have a large number of state-of-the-art computer programs at their disposal running on powerful computers. Mechanical and thermal loads can be traced and evaluated using complex simulation programs.
Risk analyses for the insurance industry:
Analyses of damaging events in the area of machinery breakdowns and in electrical installations are not only important for reasons pertaining to insurance contract law, but they also serve to prevent damage. Preventive risk analyses for harm prevention are equally important.
... all the way to risk analysis of large-scale plants, such as determining explosion risks at oil refineries, the Competence Center for Plant Diagnostics and Damage Analysis covers the entire spectrum of preventive and subsequent damage analysis.
Advantages provided by TÜV AUSTRIA:
TÜV AUSTRIA has the largest pool of field-proven experts in Austria. This means that tailor-made solutions can be developed and implemented even for complex problems.
- Close interdisciplinary cooperation between our experts means that our customers have access to the entire knowledge of all of TÜV AUSTRIA’s fields of expertise.
- TÜV AUSTRIA’s test reports, certificates and expert opinions are recognized by customers and public authorities worldwide.
- State-of-the-art test methods, precise test planning and adherence to schedules minimize downtimes and save costs.
- For more than 135 years, business and industry have been working successfully and in a spirit of trust with TÜV AUSTRIA in the service of safety and technical development.
- TÜV AUSTRIA has a large network of competent partners worldwide.
Destructive materials testing
Non-destructive material testing
TÜV AUSTRIA TVFA
Tel.: +43 +43 (0)1 6650 600
TPA / KKS
Tel.: +43 (1) 6163899-0
Non-destructive material testing
Non-destructive material testing, welding supervision
TÜV AUSTRIA Tecnotest - Deutschland
Tel.: +49 (0)214 – 86 83 40
Tel.: +49 (0) 8677 88187-0
With the conclusion of the contract our Terms and Conditions have become part of the contract and are therefore also applicable to this report. Express reference is made to the limitations of liability contained in the Terms and Conditions. Unauthorised modification, reproduction or forwarding of the report to third parties is prohibited and will be legally sanctioned accordingly. The results contained in this report reflect the current status at the time of testing and are based on the codes applicable and described in the report.
Sözleşmenin onaylanması ile birlikte, şart ve koşullarımız sözleşmenin bir parçası olmuştur ve bu rapora uygulanabilir. Şart ve koşulların içerdiği güvenilirliğin limitlerine atıfta bulunur. Rapor üzerinde izin verilmeyen değişiklikler, tekrar yazılımı yada raporun 3. şahıs ve kurumlara iletilmesi yasaklanmıştır ve ihlali durumunda yasal olarak yaptırım uygulanacaktır. Bu raporda bulunan sonuçlar, testin yapıldığı andaki değerleri yansıtmaktadır ve raporda tanımlanan uygulanabilir kodlara dayanmaktadır.
Mit Abschluss des Vertrages sind unsere Allgemeinen Geschäftsbedingungen Bestandteil des Vertrages geworden und gelten daher auch für diesen Bericht. Es wird ausdrücklich auf die in den Allgemeinen Geschäftsbedingungen enthaltenen Haftungsbeschränkungen verwiesen. Unerlaubte Änderung, Vervielfältigung oder Weiterleitung des Berichts an Dritte ist verboten und wird entsprechend rechtlich sanktioniert. Die in diesem Bericht enthaltenen Ergebnisse spiegeln den aktuellen Status zum Zeitpunkt der Prüfung wider und basieren auf den im Bericht angeführten und beschriebenen Normen und Regelwerken.
С заключением контракта наши Условия стали частью контракта и, следовательно, также применимы к этому отчету. Сделана прямая ссылка на ограничения ответственности, содержащиеся в Условиях. Несанкционированное изменение, воспроизведение или пересылка отчета третьим лицам запрещено и влечет за собой соответствующие юридические санкции. Результаты, содержащиеся в этом отчете, отражают текущий статус на момент тестирования и основаны на применимых кодах, описанных в отчете».
Avec la conclusion du contrat, nos conditions générales sont devenues partie intégrante du contrat et s'appliquent donc également à ce rapport. Il est expressément fait référence aux limitations de responsabilité contenues dans les Conditions générales. Toute modification, reproduction ou transmission non autorisée du rapport à des tiers est interdite et sera légalement sanctionnée en conséquence. Les résultats contenus dans ce rapport reflètent l'état actuel au moment du test et sont basés sur les codes applicables et décrits dans le rapport.